Who We Are
Advanced Electronic Designs, Inc. (AED) is an engineering product design and development firm located in Bozeman, Montana. Founded in 1994, AED thrives on solving intricate design challenges and developing innovative solutions for a diverse clientele. Our environment is fast-paced and engaging, coupled with a healthy work-life balance and competitive compensation. Due to the hands-on nature of the products we develop, staff are required to be present on campus.
Who You Are
You are a professional software engineer with a deep understanding of how your software interacts with electronic and computer hardware. You write clean and understandable code that is reliable and just works. You have an intuition for how systems work that you can use to debug mysterious problems with little evidence. You are detailed oriented and enjoy simple solutions to complex problems. You have a bias towards action when faced with ambiguity and a passion for delivering projects at a high level of quality.
What You Will Do
• Write build scripts, application code and unit tests in C++, deployment scripts and documentation.
• Debug existing software applications and their interaction with hardware
• Work closely with firmware and hardware engineers to own the software components of electronic products.
• Contribute to all phases of the software development lifecycle on projects from requirements discussions, development, deployment, final testing & validation of your part of the final product as well as product support after delivery.
• Implement new features, refactor existing code, and enhance software system architecture from project specs and device documentation.
• Be able to understand customer requests and implement simple and effective solutions with minimal guidance and oversight.
• Minimum of 5 years building and successfully shipping multiple software applications from start to production.
• Demonstrated background delivering projects on time and on budget.
• Experience managing the codebases of different projects of varying age and level of polish.
• Strong experience developing for a Linux environment, embedded Linux preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• C++ 17 and standard library in a Linux OS
• Git, Github and/or GitLab
• Cmake and/or make
• Writing unit tests for your code and understanding code-coverage tools & analytics
• Proficiency with Visual Studio Code or another IDE
• Ability to quickly navigate, read and learn existing codebases and their patterns.
• Identify opportunities for software architecture improvements and process improvements to enhance efficiency and reduce costs and time-to-delivery
• Best practices and processes for the software development lifecycle
• Professionalism representing AED when interacting with staff, vendors, clients, and the public.
• Organizational skills and the ability to plan, prioritize, and execute tasks independently.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Pass a comprehensive background check.
• Authorized to work in the United States and not require work authorization sponsorship by AED now or in the future.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Nice to have:
• Experience with Python (versions 2.x and 3.x)
• Experience with Java (1.8 minimum) and Jakarta EE (J2EE).
• Docker and cloud services architecture.
• Knowledge and understanding of database backed web applications.
• Mobile app experience on both iOS and Android devices.
• Understanding of how compilers and assemblers work.
In addition to exciting work at a growing company, we offer the following benefits:
• 401(k) retirement with a company match
• QSEHRA Health Benefits
• Life insurance
• Vacation and holiday pay
• Relocation assistance
Don’t quite match up with everything on the list? If you feel you would be a good fit for AED, we would love to hear from you. Send us your resume at [email protected] and we will be in touch.