The Department of General Services, Division of Engineering and Building(DEB), is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code as it relates to buildings on state property, for developing state policies and procedures on the procurement of professional and construction services and for establishing accessibility standards for state buildings.
We are seeking a qualified licensed Engineer to perform all tasks related to Electrical Engineering Review of building construction plans and specifications and inspection of construction.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent combination of training and experience required.
• Professional Engineer license is required and must obtain a Virginia Professional Engineer license within six months of employment.
• International Code Council (ICC) Certification as an Electrical Plans Examiner and Commercial Electrical Inspector achieved within six months of employment.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of the Virginia Construction Code, Virginia Existing Building Code, Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code, the National Electric Code, Virginia Energy Conservation Code, and state regulations.
• Substantial knowledge and experience in responsible charge (preferable with an A/E professional practice) for the design of electrical power and distribution systems, lighting, data, and fire alarm systems for new and renovated buildings, including engineering analyses, problem solving, contract document preparation, and inspection of construction in progress.
• Must work independently under general supervision, prioritize and schedule normal workload and special deadlines, communicate effectively orally and in writing with management and clients, gather and analyze data and prepare written reports, and use good interpersonal skills in interactions with work associates and clients in a professional, fair and cooperative manner.
• Skilled in operating computers and using Microsoft Office applications.
• Physical requirements of the position include on-site inspections to construction sites which includes walking over rough terrain, standing, climb or balancing, and stooping; and kneel, crouch, or crawling. Employee must use hands to hold, handle, grasp, pinch, or feel and must lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. • Required to wear safety helmets and safety glasses.
• Virginia Professional Engineers license preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
• Current ICC Certification as an Electrical Plans Examiner and Commercial Electrical Inspector preferred.
• Bluebeam experience a plus.
Applicants that indicate they have preferential hiring rights in the form of a yellow form or blue card must submit these to our office prior to the closing of the posting, in accordance with DHRM policy 1.3