Element has an opportunity for Construction Materials Testing Technician. The primary function of the Construction Materials Testing Technician Intern is to provide construction representative testing and inspection services on various land development and construction building projects.
Work schedule may be variable including nights and weekends depending on contractor’s schedules. This position may also require extended periods away from Element’s St. Paul office in accordance with project location and schedule. Flexibility to work extended or nontraditional hours as needed. This is a full time permanent position with full benefits package.
- Ensure compliance with safety rules, company policies and procedures, as well as state and federal laws
- Ensure that all testing equipment, work vehicles, and tools are properly calibrated and maintained
- Set up, conduct and analyze standard field and laboratory tests following prescribed procedures
- Performing testing and inspection of soil/aggregates, concrete, masonry, rebar, and bituminous pavement in the field and laboratory
- Concrete tests may include air content, slump, temperature, casting of concrete cylinders, de-molding, and compression strength testing
- Soil/aggregate testing may include mechanical analysis, Proctor, moisture content, Atterberg Limit, soil nuclear density testing, and sand cone testing
- Bituminous pavement testing may include nuclear density testing to establish a rolling pattern or verify field density, testing bituminous cores for thickness and density, tests for oil content (extraction) and gradation, Marshall and Gyratory density, and air voids
- Other job functions include performing excavation observations, documenting exposed soil conditions are suitable for planned construction, and proof-roll testing for suitability of street subgrade/aggregate base prior to pavement placement
- Solve technical problems using application of standard techniques
- Assist in documenting on-site test results; examine and analyze test results and explain unusual findings
- Prepare test reports for review by senior staff members
- Communicate with Clients, Technicians, and Project Managers on a professional level to ensure a high degree of customer satisfaction
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Safety focus and attention to detail.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- 2+ years in construction industry or two years technical/trade preferred
- Current industry certifications for materials testing or construction helpful
- Related work experience in materials testing or construction helpful, however, not required