The Materials Manager is responsible to manage and oversee the operations of systems and customer service department to ensure processes and procedures are in place to effectively plan, schedule and coordinate production to meet customer demands from raw material planning to customer inventory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages personnel and procedures in the materials area.
- Manages master scheduling, production planning, requirements planning, purchasing, and inventory control.
- Coordinates and develops manufacturing systems designed to manage material and information required for planning and production.
- Works with customers and computer systems to establish electronic communications on customer requirements and supplier releases.
- Manages materials department to support, on a daily basis, the JIT production environment with minimal inventory and material handling.
- Teams with corporate purchasing group to negotiate competitive pricing on all components. this important function applies to non-product items as well as production components.
- Works with engineering and floor personnel to streamline material flow and reduce handling costs.
- Develops strategies to ensure on-hand inventories are kept to a bare minimum on raw, WIP, and finished goods.
- Develops key measurements on inventory levels, lead times, and lot sizes.
- Manages transportation area including inbound, outbound, scrap, and non-product.
- Coordinates company strategy and customer needs.
- Ensures timely service at competitive rates.
- Responsible for the overall leadership, direction, coordination, and evaluation of the materials team.
- Carries out leadership responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Supervise, coordinate and coach the activities of the materials department.
- Evaluate and address employee performance issues while ensuring employees are following the proper operating procedures, safety alerts and quality alerts alike.
- Ensure employees follow proper operating procedures
- Ensure employees are trained to safely and properly perform their duties
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Production Management or related field preferred.
- 3 years materials experience in a manufacturing setting (automotive)
- 3 years of supervisory experience
- High School diploma
- 4-5 years materials experience in a manufacturing setting
- 4-5 years of supervisory experience
Skills and Abilities
- Experience in working with MRP and other inventory management systems
- Utilization of TAG tracking and BAAN data systems
- Competent in working with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Thorough understanding of throughput production methods.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to all levels of management.
- Understanding and experience in Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Methods
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to work independently.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
APICS certification beneficial
- Occasionally required to walk
- Time split between plant and office environment.
- 1st shift, but may have to be available for OT and weekends, as needed. (24/7 environment).
- Moderate noise level in the plant.
- This position will perform work in both the plant and office environment with unrestricted movement.
Some travel, as required. (10%)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. All job functions are subject to modification.