Element has an opportunity for Construction Materials Testing Laboratory Supervisor/Sr. Lboratory Technician. The primary function of the Construction Materials Testing Laboratory Supervisor/Sr. Laboratory Technician is to organize, perform, analyze, report, and direct daily activities of the laboratory. Maintain AASHTO Materials Reference Laboratory (AMRL) and Cement and Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL) accreditations and attain new accreditations as business opportunities govern. Perform construction materials representative testing both in our St. Paul laboratory and on construction sites or contractors laboratories as required by projects.
Work schedule may be variable including evenings and weekends depending on contractor’s schedules. This position may also require extended periods away from Element’s St. Paul office in accordance with project location and schedule. Flexibility to work extended or nontraditional hours as needed mainly during the summer construction season.
- Ensure compliance with safety rules, company policies and procedures, as well as state and federal laws
- Perform, analyze, supervise, and manage all construction laboratory department activities
- Maintain AMRL and CCRL Laboratory Accreditation and obtain new accreditation as business opportunities govern
- Establish, execute, review and evaluate laboratory procedures and policies for operating functions of the laboratory
- Head responsibility to maintain Laboratory Document Control records, reports, and files as established by Element’s Quality Manual and accrediting agencies
- Support senior department staff with laboratory activities and operations
- Ensures that laboratory equipment is properly maintained and calibrated in accordance with both internal Quality Manual and nationally recognized procedures
- Lead laboratory purchase of inventory, storage, supplies usage, and monitor maintenance and service agreements
- Set up, conduct and analyze standard field and laboratory tests following prescribed procedures as outlined in Element’s Quality Manual and applicable ASTM/AASHTO standards
- Performing testing and inspection of soil/aggregates, concrete, masonry, rebar, and bituminous pavement in the field and laboratory
- Concrete tests may include air content, slump, temperature, casting of concrete cylinders, de-molding, and compression strength testing
- Soil/aggregate testing may include mechanical analysis, hydrometer, Proctor, moisture content, Atterberg Limit, soil nuclear density testing, and sand cone testing
- Bituminous pavement testing may include nuclear density testing to establish a rolling pattern or verify field density, testing bituminous cores for thickness and density, tests for oil content (extraction) and gradation, Marshall and Gyratory density, and air voids
- Solve technical problems using application of standard techniques
- Document test results; examine and analyze test results and explain unusual findings
- Prepare test reports for review by senior staff members
- Communicate with Clients, Technicians, and Project Managers on a professional level to ensure a high degree of customer satisfaction. Ability to accurately and fluently convey thoughts orally and in writing
- Ability to operate a company vehicle within company policy. A valid driver’s license and safe driving record is required
- Knowledge of construction techniques, testing & construction management preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, etc.)
- The successful candidate will be encouraged to expand their skills and certifications through company provided training and mentoring
- Work under the direction of senior technicians or staff professionals and project managers
- Safety focus and attention to detail
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. Technical degree preferred, however, not required.
- A demonstrated ability to learn and apply technical concepts while working well with a team
- 2+ years in construction materials lab experience or two years technical/trade or college student working toward technical or civil engineering or construction management degree or related field preferred
- Proactive communication skills, knowledge of construction practices, willingness to learn and an overall passion for continual improvement. Chosen candidate(s) will receive paid technical training as applicable
- Valid Driver’s License, clean driving record and ability to pass a drug test
- Current industry certifications for materials testing or construction testing required or be able to obtain within 3 months of employment: MNDOT Aggregate Production, MNDOT Grading and Base Level 1, MNDOT Bituminous Plant Level 1, MNDOT Bituminous Street Level 1
- Additional certifications also preferred, however, not required at start of employment include: MNDOT Bituminous Plant Level 2, MNDOT Bituminous Street Level 2, MNDOT Grading and Base Level 2, MNDOT Concrete Plant Level 1 and Level 2, MNDOT Concrete Field Level 1 and Level 2 (or ACI Concrete Field), MNDOT or ACI Concrete Strength Testing