OVERVIEW: The primary focus of the Senior Process / Project Chemical Engineer is to apply technical knowledge and engineering skills to increase plant safety, productivity, and quality through process improvement, problem solving and plant projects. This position will seek to increase efficiency, reduce costs, manage projects, optimize, and maintain DCS operation and other areas as assigned. This position is intended to progress into an operations and/or maintenance management position after developing the necessary breadth of knowledge, judgment and experience. Must be an ambitious self-starter, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and be passionate in the pursuit of root cause(s) of problems, development of recurrence prevention solutions, and implementing improvements.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Technically review, analyze, and trend plant operations through various means (daily operating logs, DCS historical data, lab data, etc.) to enable troubleshooting of process problems and upsets.
● Identify and make recommendations for improvements in production capacity, process efficiency, equipment specification and cost reduction.
● Develop methods and techniques for improving safety and health.
● Manage the plant’s project execution process, including planning, implementation, reporting, and control.
● Develop and execute capital and expense projects in a safe and efficient manner (conceptual design, scope definition, cost estimation, economic justification, equipment specification/selection/purchasing, construction/contractor oversight, and startup).
● Implement capital and maintenance projects in a safe and efficient manner (conceptual design, scope definition, cost estimation, economic justification, equipment specification, purchasing, construction/contractor oversight, and startup).
● Coordinate and Supervise work conducted by contractors and vendors.
● Maintain/improve Process Safety Information (chemical hazards, process technology, and process equipment).
● Lead and provide technical assistance for Process Hazard Analyses, incident investigations, compliance audits, Management of Changes, and PSSRs.
● Review, develop and improve Standard Operating Procedures, and contribute to employee training as needed.
● Provide technical assistance to the Maintenance Department for the Mechanical Integrity program, equipment specification assessment, and other maintenance improvement activities.
● Program, maintain, troubleshoot, and optimize the DCS process control system as needed, including the data historian.
● Assist with environmental compliance duties as needed.