Plan, staff and manage a fully integrated strategic sourcing and material management function including strategic sourcing and physical distribution. This includes the procurement of all raw materials and supplies, and JIT ordering/scheduling of materials. Plan and manage inventories to result in desired customer serve levels with minimum inventory. Manage the purchasing of the desired quality materials at the lowest price possible.
· Manage the strategic sourcing of material to maximize the leverage of the combined volume of our total vinyl material requirements.
· Maintain research and competitive/market intelligence on all major items such as PVC, glass, micro-materials, and corrugated to ensure Ply Gem is cognizant of current pricing trends and able to benchmark its purchasing costs.
· Implement a year-round strategic sourcing process that includes supplier outreach, qualifications activities, supplier relations, issue resolution, formal competitive bidding, on-line auction, BAFO requests and price negotiations.
· Develop initiatives and creative methods to ensure reduction of procurement costs to the minimum possible levels while ensuring appropriate legal standards are maintained.
· Implement contract agreements, including Terms and Conditions, to lock-in favorable prices, guarantee delivery and effect favorable payment terms.
· Develop the preparation of the annual production and inventory plans for the three-year Strategic Plan and the Annual Business Plan to meet company objective for on-time delivery, manning ramp-up, inventory turns.
· Lead the processes for developing the monthly production plans and plant loading to meet forecasted sales and desired service levels. Ensure unforeseen changes in the production/sales plans are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
· Lead the processes necessary to ensure the appropriate level and mix of inventory is stocked at each applicable location to ensure high service levels with minimum inventories and a positive cash flow each month.
· Ensure finished goods inventories are active and of high utility. Coordinate with sales and marketing to reduce/eliminate slow moving materials. Coordinate with manufacturing to ensure obsolete inventory is recycled as quickly as possible.
· Assist in the planning and achievement of various material efficiency programs, including the use of alternate material and material usage.
· Coordinate with manufacturing and shipping/transportation to ensure the system dynamics are such that Ply Gem produces and ships from the sites that result in the least cost scenario on an ongoing basis, providing guidance and direction where resources (capital etc.) can be applied to reduce costs.
· Maintain an up to date knowledge of the trucking industry to facilitate programs and discussion to keep our shippers on time pickup and deliveries at the highest possible level.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Management, Business Administration or comparable discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
· APICS certification preferred.
A minimum of five years of progressive management experience in a manufacturing environment in a purchasing, buying or supply chain role.
· Effective analytical skills, contract negotiation and management skills required.
· Legal knowledge of contracts preferred.
· Accounting knowledge and strong written and verbal communications required.
· Effective knowledge of progressive materials management techniques required.