The Director of Engineering will be responsible for managing the overall company efforts in pursuit of FAA Parts Manufacturing Approval for airworthy flight hardware as well as providing technical oversight for all activities within the company. The Engineering Director reports to the Vice President/ General Manager for the division. He/she is responsible for oversight of assigned design criteria and manages results.
- Provide oversight in developing design substantiation packages for FAA Parts Manufacturer Approval applications
- Review manufacturing drawings for airworthy flight hardware and ensure that the information is accurate and clearly conveyed
- Assisting in the development of manufacturing processes for airworthy flight hardware
- Coordinating conformity inspection activities between the company’s Quality Assurance department, ODA, and FAA liaison
- Assist and provide oversight in the development of customer evaluation packages for new flight hardware
- Manages the Technical Documentation System for the Organization and helps to set policies and procedures necessary to maintain data integrity
- Develop vendor substantiation requirements for outside manufacturing and processing vendors
- Support activities related to new vendor qualification, including new vendor identification and selection
- Answering questions from QA department and vendors about drawing interpretation, manufacturing methods, inspection methods, etc.
- Participating in the disposition of non-conforming materials, including analyzing the non-conformance for fit, function, safety, and reliability, and communicating with QA, suppliers, and the FAA liaison as required
- Managing Engineering Change Notices and drawing changes as required for manufacturability
- Answering questions from customers and operators regarding our products
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for forecasting achievable design substantiation milestones (D Codes) and meeting those forecasted dates).
- Responsible for system updates in the Engineering data archives, COSMOS and Visual Marketing as they relate to New Product Development (NPD) and production parts.
· Will help direct efforts of our Co-Op program and in overseeing and assigning their activities.
- May be occasionally required to visit customers to perform fit checks, technical issues and troubleshooting, design improvements, etc.
- May be required to assist sales team with customer inquiries, eligibility, etc.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum 10 years aerospace / mechanical design experience is preferred
• Experience using 3D CAD software (Pro-Engineer, Solidworks, etc.) preferred
• Experience with mechanical drafting and GD&T
• Knowledge of aircraft engine components, controls & accessories, and/or aircraft interiors is preferred
•Knowledge of basic structural, thermal, and modal analysis of mechanical components is required
• Knowledge of aerospace materials and coatings
• Knowledge of conventional aerospace manufacturing methods, including; milling, turning, grinding, lapping, stamping, forging, casting, molding, EDM, ECM, welding, brazing, heat treating, etc. is preferred
• A high attention to detail is required
• Must be flexible in handling multiple tasks
• Must have excellent leadership, organizational, analytical, and communication skills
• MS Office proficiency
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The Engineering Director should possess good organizational and leadership skills, be capable of multi-tasking with simultaneous projects and be resourceful. The individual should have a high degree of accuracy with their work and maintain good documentation. He/she should have good interpersonal skills and be able to interact with various resources within the company as well as with other business units, sales team and external customers. Must be able to work independently as well as collaborative with corporate technical services. The individual should be capable of directing others as this is a senior management role. This ideally requires good communication skills as well as a mentoring style.