Mechanical Engineer - Norfolk, VA
Our Client is seeking an energetic, highly motivated mechanical engineer. The applicant should have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the mechanical design for government, healthcare, commercial and/or industrial type facilities.
Typical responsibilities include design, engineering analysis, energy modelling, equipment selection, and system layout of HVAC, plumbing, piping, and related mechanical building systems.
This position will eventually include project management duties for both in-house (PME) and sub-consultant trades. The ability to communicate clearly with customers and sub-consultants is required. The job will involve occasional overnight travel for on-site field work and meetings with customers.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Minimum of three years’ experience in HVAC and plumbing design
- Ability to work independently and be able to complete projects with minimal supervision
- Excellent written communication skills for preparation of effective and concise documents and correspondence
- Strong verbal communication skills for facilitation of group meetings with varied audiences
- A positive, client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects at the same time and be able to meet strict deadlines
- Strong communication skills are required – the successful applicant must be able to:
- Read, comprehend and fulfill the technical and strategic requirements of a project scoping document
- Speak clearly and effectively with superiors, subordinates and colleagues
- Write about technical subjects in a succinct and concise manner to a broad range of audiences
- Meet with clients including building owners, architects, other engineering disciplines, contractors, government agencies, etc.
- Participate in and lead team meetings and coordinating efforts with building owners, contractors and other team members, often from other trades and technical disciplines
- Coordinating with and providing direction to trades outside of the mechanical discipline
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from senior engineers and project managers
- Travel unaccompanied to project sites and perform site investigations which may require moderate physical exertion in unconditioned spaces
- Providing construction phase services including representing the firm at project sites and meetings, reviewing installations and preparing reports, answering RFI’s and reviewing shop drawings
- Performing conceptual studies, program requirements, design analysis, supporting calculations, equipment selection, system layout for building design, upgrades and retrofits
- Complying with the firms quality control policies and procedures
- Adhere to department and company standards
- Preparing project programming, schematic designs, design development designs, and construction documents.
- Perform engineering calculations (HVAC heating, cooling, humidification and dehumidification loads, psychrometric analysis, duct static calculations, pumping calculations, life-cycle cost analyses
- Editing specifications to establish appropriate requirements for equipment and technical procedures
- Creation of all construction documents in a drawing set including floor plans, elevations, sections, details, schedules, diagrams, control sequences, isometrics
- Understand sustainable design principles and practices
- Familiarity of LEED projects and be able to use online templates to demonstrate compliance.
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Working knowledge of applicable building codes (commercial and government), industry standards, guidelines and principles
- Experience in Plumbing design such as waste, vent, domestic water, and medical gas is desirable.
EXPERIENCE, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND ACCREDITATIONS
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience working in HVAC and Plumbing design.
- PE or EIT designation is required.
- LEED, or similar sustainable design accreditation is desirable, but not required.
- Active membership in SFPE, ASHRAE, ASPE or other related professional organizations is desirable.
- Must be skilled with Trane Trace 700, Piping Designer and Duct Designer, including input and interpretation of results
- AutoCAD 2012+ and AutoDesk REVIT is desirable
- CostWorks cost estimating software / RS Means is desirable
- Effective use of current company software programs for word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and information management is expected.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178