AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including International, Interpon, Sikkens and Chemcraft – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect. In North America, we’ve been producing innovative, high-performance coatings since 1888. Today, you can find AkzoNobel’s products supporting industries ranging from aerospace to consumer electronics, infrastructure, transportation, home décor, furniture and marine vessels. With a regional headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee, AkzoNobel’s North America operation includes 3,500 employees at more than 30 manufacturing sites, technology labs and business offices. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com
In North America, AkzoNobel provides performance coatings products to customers through four operating business units: Powder Coatings, Automotive & Special Coatings, Industrial Coatings and Marine, Protective & Yacht Coatings.
Our Powder Coatings Business Unit is the largest global manufacturer of powder coatings—solvent-free paints applied to metal and other conductive surfaces—and a world leader in powder coatings technology. Interpon® is our Powder Coating's business' global brand, with a wide manufacturing base. Our product and technology development capabilities are strong, and we possess manufacturing expertise in the areas of cost and speed.
PURPOSE/KEY OBJECTIVES OF THE JOB
Guide line management to deliver HSE (Health Safety and Environmental) policy, setting the culture and managing hazards.
Act as a change agent for continuous improvement and a role model for compliance and commitment.
Leverage HSE (Health, Safety, and Environmental) expertise to support own unit and others.
Contribute to the HSE (Health, Safety, and Environmental) strategy beyond own unit.
Manage and develop direct reports as applicable.
- Guide line management to develop and ensure implementation of HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) policies, plans and practices for the Nashville Site in line with AkzoNobel’s HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) policy, directives, rules, and procedures and in compliance with relevant regulatory requirements; together with and in support of line management, set the safety culture and manage hazards.
- Be a change agent for continuous improvement in HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) standards, performance, capability and culture of the Nashville Site in line with AkzoNobel programs. Along with line management, spend time on the shop floor and act as a role model for ensuring compliance with and commitment to the AkzoNobel HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) policy, directives, rules and procedures, including its risk tolerance criteria.
- Be an effective coach for the Nashville Site by leveraging and extending its HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) knowledge through personal participation in AkzoNobel’s expert pools for the delivery of the Safety Common Platform, HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) faculty learning programs, auditing and/or incident investigation and/or through training activities within the Nashville Site as well as through personal functional development.
- Contribute to the development of the HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) strategy for design, deployment and delivery of the AkzoNobel HSE (Health, Safety and the Environmental) policy, directives, rules and procedures and Safety Common Platform for the entity at the next higher level, in order to ensure alignment of objectives and performance of the Nashville Site.
- Attract, lead, coach, appraise and develop employee(s) in line with Human Resources guidelines and the HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) operating model, facilitating the talent management process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health and Safety, engineering or related discipline.
- Three (3) years experience in a similar role within the manufacturing/chemical industry required. Knowledge and experience on dust explosion prevention preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Must be fluent in English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience using SAP preferred.
- Must be able to travel up to 20%. International travel may be required.
- Strong strategic and conceptual skills with ability to execute and follow through.
- Ability to positively gain agreement or acceptance of plans and activities and to move others towards a desired goal or course of action.
- Ability to drive continuous improvement of processes, policies, and standards.
- Able to work in an inclusive way in the HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) community to make sure the business experiences ‘one voice’ and the teams’ collective objectives are met.
- Entrepreneurship, result oriented, negotiation, problem solving, project management, business acumen.
- Relevant experience in different multiple units, disciplines, locations and/or other companies.
- Broad (people) management capabilities.
Broad and specialized knowledge of the AkzoNobel HSE (Health, Safety and Environmental) functional role and its management systems and programs, as well as external benchmarks.
As a leading coatings and specialty chemical company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans (M/F/D/V).