Project Duration: 12 months
Resources Needed: 1
The Telecommunications Engineer provides design and project management services for the installation of Structured Cabling Systems (SCS) for CLIENT owned and leased buildings. The scope of projects includes small remodels to the construction of new multi-story buildings. Incumbent provides engineering, project management, estimating, and quality control & assurance for the SCS portion of the projects. Incumbent will be required to travel to on and off campus locations.
Engineering responsibilities include designing SCS infrastructure for new construction projects, remodels of existing buildings, outside plant copper cabling, and fiber optic cabling infrastructure. Incumbent will develop a scope of work for SCS projects that are complete and in accordance with CLIENT design & contracting standards. Additional responsibilities include reviewing and approving contractor's applications for payment and reporting any discrepancies to IT Services Contracts Administration group.
Project Management responsibilities include serving as IT Services' liaison to architects, engineers, contractors and stake holders for major projects. Incumbent will attend planning meetings with facilities staff, architects, engineers and other departments to assist in the design and construction of assigned projects. Participation in design meetings is required to document telecommunication system requirements and ensure that CLIENT SCS standards are integrated into the design documents. Once a contractor commences work, the incumbent is required to review contractor daily reports for accuracy and coordinate solutions for any open issues.
Estimating responsibilities include reviewing end user requirements and creating SCS estimates utilizing parametric, bottom up, or historical estimating techniques. The incumbent will also review the Job Order Contract vendor's unit cost submissions to ensure they are accurate and complete.
Quality Control and Assurance responsibilities include reviewing work performed under the scope of a general contractor or Job Order Contract vendor. Incumbent will review submissions, test results and as built drawings to ensure CLIENT SCS standards are being properly implemented. During onsite job walks, the incumbent will review installations in progress and issue non-compliance reports when work performed does not meet CLIENT requirements. Additional responsibilities include reviewing installation practices of IT Services cable specialists and instructing them on proper installation techniques.
• Detailed knowledge of the applications, requirements, standards, functionality, and capacity of copper and fiber optic cabling regarding supporting voice, data, wireless and video technologies.
• Detailed knowledge of the construction, installation and maintenance issues relating to copper and fiber optic cabling in both outside plant and intra building cabling environments.
• Proficiency in creating and editing telecommunications drawings utilizing Bluebeam annotation and/or AutoCAD 2016 software. Skills required include setting up background
drawings, designing horizontal cabling infrastructure, laying out telecommunications rooms, designing backbone infrastructure.
• Detailed knowledge of and experience with TIA/EIA (Telecommunications Industry Association/Electronic Industries Alliance) standards including sections 568, 569, 606, 607, and 758.
• Ability to read and interpret design drawings created by architects and electrical engineers.
• A strong understanding of wireless infrastructure requirements as it relates to IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) 802.11n and cellular technologies.
• Ability to layout CATV cabling infrastructure including cabling, splitters, taps, and amplifiers.
• Strong background in fiber optic cabling infrastructure used in LAN, CAN, and WAN environments.
• Ability to work with end users to develop system requirements and convert that information into a complete and functional system. Ability to document technical conversation, develop plans and specifications, create estimates, manage the installation, and follow up with quality control and quality assurance procedures.
• Detailed knowledge of the construction, installation and maintenance issues relating to copper and fiber optic cabling.
• Ability to develop project plans and detailed schedules for telecommunications infrastructure projects.
• Knowledge of OSHA safety regulations regarding the telecommunication system installations including outside plant infrastructure.
• Negotiation skills to deal effectively with vendors regarding contractual issues, agreements, and deliverables.
• Interpersonal skills to interact effectively with persons of varying background and level of authority.
• Possess the verbal and written communication skills to work effectively with technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization; ability to use standard English grammar and punctuation.
• Skill in project management for large-scale communications technology projects including voice, video, and data installations.
• Capable of hearing normal conversations on telephones and in construction environments.
• Capable of walking for minimum of four (4) hours while conducting job walks and inspections.
• Capable of entering maintenance holes, tunnels, and ceilings without assistance using University supplied ladders.
• Ability to safely drive university vehicle to campus and off campus locations; possess and maintain a valid Driver's License and maintain a satisfactory driving record.
• Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) - Preferred
• Certification as a Registered Communication Distribution Designer (RCDD) by BICS – Preferred
With Kelly, you’ll have direct connections to leading IT organizations in the best companies around
the globe—offering you the chance to work on some of today’s most intriguing, innovative and high-
visibility projects. In a field where change is the only constant, our connections and opportunities
will help you take your career exactly where you want to go. We work with 95 of the Fortune 100™
companies, and more than 3,000 IT hiring managers turn to us each year to access the best talent:
people like you.
Last year we found 8,000 opportunities for IT professionals. Let us help advance your career
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2017 was $5.4 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females,
Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is
committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity
is The Law.
Name: Andrew Lee