Assists in analysis, research, and design of appropriate materials and process solutions and related manufacturing of BAE Systems product lines. Applies principles of Material Science, Chemistry, and Physics applicable to the development of structures, systems, and sub-systems, while considering the environmental impact of materials and process selection throughout product life-cycle.
Tasks may include assisting Materials & Process Engineering staff with Materials Characterization, Failure Analysis, Material and process selection, Research and Development, and technical Drawings reviews and documentation.
Primary Duties and responsibilities:
Required Skills and Education
- Assist with on-going projects under the direction of engineering staff including material characterization, failure analysis, mechanical / physical/ Thermal testing, and metallographic sample preparation.
- Assist engineering staff with design reviews of technical drawings to ensure adherence to applicable BAE Systems / Weapon Systems design guidelines.
- Physical and digital input and organization of technical data and documentation.
- Under supervision of engineering staff, author reports and present findings on current projects.
- Perform additional tasks and lend support to engineering staff as required.
Currently enrolled in at a university and pursuing an accredited degree in technical discipline (B.S. or M.S.) or possessing an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Area of study: Metallurgy or Material Science.
Preferred Skills and Education
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Metallographic sample preparation
- Digital imaging / photography
- Problem solving techniques and Failure Analysis methodology
- Experience with standard materials engineering lab equipment
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
- Preferred up and rising Juniors and above.
- Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS)
- Experience in Heat Treat, Metallurgy, Metal Forming processes, and Material selection
- Mechanical (tensile, compression, and hardness) testing
- Experience with computerized mechanical test equipment (MTS Equipment)
- Pro/Engineer (Pro/E) / Computer Aided Design (CAD) software
- Understanding of Military and Industry specifications.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.