Position Open: November 15, 2018
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Department Head - Industrial in our Brunswick, GA office who will be responsible for overall technical quality within their department and support the development of design discipline staffing to meet the needs of the firm in terms of numbers, experience, and professional qualifications.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Department Head duties as assigned
- Facilitate communication of the impact of design/scope decisions on the department level of effort, project schedule, construction cost and quality of the final product. Review performance, status, budgets, and organization of the project documents.
- Assure that the department standards are being utilized efficiently. Facilitate the improvement of the standards and include training in the departmental guidance. Help introduce new employees to the standards.
- Review performance, status, budgets, and organization of the project documents.
- Monitor construction activities and provide lessons learned.
- Monitor professional development of staff members to assure that individuals are being technically challenged in a productive manner and maintain their technical abilities.
- Encourage the use of software tools to enhance the efficiency of team members. Evaluate alternative tools as they become available. Provide opportunities for training as required. Ensure that staff has the right computing equipment for their position and coordinate needs with the IT department.
- Encourage mentoring within the department and serve as an example for future leaders. Identify roles for members of the department to aid in their professional growth.
- Encourage “lessons learned” and internal communication to help prevent recurring issues. Discuss reviews with designers and reviewers to identify quality trends.
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Senior Management
- Assist in marketing and business development activities
- Assist in preparing proposals and participating in contract negotiations
- Assign department staff to project teams
- Participate in staff annual reviews
- Ability to travel is required
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct reviews of the project discipline technical decisions
- Monitor department workload to maintain staff utilization rates
- Review fee and budget proposals on individual projects
- Monitor budget and schedule performance on individual projects
- Assist MP’s and PM’s in assigning suitable or appropriately skilled staff to project teams
- Participate in design reviews of projects
- Participate in technical reviews of projects
- Participate in QA/QC project reviews and briefings
- BS in engineering –or-
- Post-graduate degree in, engineering, engineering technology or engineering management
Licenses, Certifications and Accreditations
- Completed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EIT is preferred.
- Completed or be in a position to complete requirements for PE licensure within 24 months after being hired is preferred
- 24-hour MSHA miner safety training is desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever-increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process is desirable
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience with Industrial safety programs and compliance with site specific safety programs in an Industrial plant environment is required
A Department Head - Industrial should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
- A Department Head - Industrial should typically have 15 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with an Industrial firm or multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge in one or more of the following areas: bulk material handling, process piping, conveyance equipment detail shop drawings, dust collection, chute fabrication drawings, tank/bin design, equipment platforms/catwalks, MSHA standards and other related industrial process design parameters is highly desired.
- Design or construction experience in Design/Build and EPC project delivery methods is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Demonstrated recognized leadership within the firm and/or outside the firm
- Possess team leadership capabilities and abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of firm-wide design goals and abilities to execute them on projects that they have participated