The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
This is an exciting time to be in IT&T (Information Technology & Transformation) at Smithfield Foods. The IT&T team is a significant force in leading the digital transformation for Smithfield. The Infrastructure Services team is an integral part of the digital transformation. Identifying and implementing technology initiatives across the enterprise, the Infrastructure Services team is positioned to identify opportunities for innovative and the creative application of technology to deliver efficiencies, standardize the portfolio and create a flexible technology foundation.
Tightly coupled with our Business Relationship Management team and Enterprise Solution Architecture team the Network and Telecommunications Engineer has a voice in providing creative ideas and innovations which will help drive the success of Smithfield IT&T.
The Network and Telecommunications Engineer candidate should have an innovative mindset focused on continuous improvement of systems operations. Digital savvy (understands or has experience with IIOT RPA, AI, Analytics, APIs, Agile, VR, AR, apps, ecommerce). Has broad experience level and able to do process documentation effectively. Provides thought leadership in systems support, design and deployment to promote the strategy, management and oversight of Digital Transformation as it relates to IoT and its value add to business operations while managing and ensuring data security in a multi-vendor plant system environment.
Leads assigned projects and is responsible analyzing, designing, installing, configuring, maintaining and restoration of the network infrastructure and application components. Perform a wide variety of evaluation, maintenance, installation, and training tasks to ensure the computer network performance meets company and user satisfaction. This position also provides direction, information, and recommendations regarding network and telecommunication configurations and installations, proactive monitoring, and technical support of computer systems, equipment and network administration. Must have intellectual curiosity, vendor management skills and be an effective communicator.Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Manage assigned projects and components to deliver services in accordance with established objectives.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the underlying technologies of the Internet \u2013 IP routing (BGP) and IP Services (DNS, HTTP, SMTP, etc.), and security (IPSec, SSL, etc.).
- Configuration and support of switches, routers, firewalls (including VPN), and other appliances for access to vital business applications in complex environments (including using Wireshark).
- Design, setup, and configure switching/routing/wireless environments that support secured access, including the ability to support voice and video applications.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of Local Area Networking \u2013 IP routing (EIGRP, OSPF), IP switching (STP. VTP, VLAN’s, etc.), IP Address management (subnets and bit boundaries), and IP Protocols (DNS, DHCP, SMB).
- Assist in the design and troubleshooting of multi-server environments (hardware - Cisco/Dell/HP/IBM and software \u2013 VMWare/Linux/Windows).
- Install and configure networking software for upgrading and maintaining networking systems.
- Troubleshoot network hardware, software applications, and security systems to resolve operational issues and restore services.
- Maintain network security through proper design and configuration of DMZ’s, VPN tunnels, and Firewalls (Fortigate experience is a plus).
- Ability to work with WAN/ISP providers to implement/troubleshoot remote site connectivity.
- Knowledge of a scripting language is a plus.
- Knowledge of a management platform (PRTG/Solarwinds/Nagios/etc) and of management methods (IPSLA, REST, SNMP, Syslog).
- Administration and support of telecommunications systems/servers for the enterprise including providing technical assistance to inquiries from staff, service providers, remote site personnel, and outside vendors. Administration experience for the following is a bonus: PBXs, call accounting systems, Automatic Call Distribution Systems (ACD), voice mail, interactive voice response, VoIP, and video conferencing systems.
- Troubleshooting the malfunctions of telephony hardware and software applications to resolve operational issues and restore service(s).
- Installation and configuration of server software for upgrading/maintaining telecommunication systems.
- SIP experience is a plus
Wireless Device Support
- Design, setup, and configure of infrastructure wireless AP infrastructure to address business requirements, ensuring system scalability, security, performance and reliability.
- A strong understanding of IEEE 802.11 protocols is preferred with a working knowledge of wireless authentication methods including 802.1x, EAP, RADIUS, LDAP(s) and Active Directory.
- Experience with wireless packet capture and analysis a plus.
- Support of the wireless controllers and access points including troubleshooting wireless devices connecting to the AP infrastructure.
- Identifies data collection opportunities which would result in improved business operations and effectiveness. Identifies and recommends continuous improvement solutions and changes.
- Directly interacts with Business Relationship Managers and Business Analysts in developing and implementing business improvement solutions.
- Work directly with customers on issues and projects on the phone, in person or via email
- Work with management on special projects (investigate new hardware and software, large installation rollouts, etc.)
- Coordinates communications with Service Desk, vendors, outside contractors and corporate systems administrators.
- Planning of infrastructure hardware/software updates, testing, and validation.
- Updates to the documentation repository, especially using Microsoft Visio, and create documentation of configuration and installation process steps.
- Monitors and identifies needs and gaps related to information security, backups, archiving, and disaster recovery.
- Review tickets from the helpdesk to find trends and address problems
- Handle calls and escalations after hours and weekend as part of an on-call rotation
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from a four-year college or university in Telecommunications, Network Engineering, Information Technology Management, or Technical Field and 3-5 years related experience and /or training; or 6-10 years of equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
- Current CCNA and/or CCDA certification.
- Experience connecting and supporting the move of servers and services to the cloud services.
- Additional certifications preferred by management.
- Maintain network security through proper configuration of VPN and Firewalls.
- Ability to communicate in an understandable, polite, and friendly manner, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a business environment.
- Availability in response to needs of the customer for installation, maintenance, and equipment malfunctions.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills - teamwork, facilitation and negotiation.
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and verbal formats.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to plan, organizes, prioritize, and work under pressure and meet established goals and objectives.
- Ability to work with project teams in both a managed service or in/outsourced environment
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to understand the needs for the various technical solutions.
- Ability to communicate, influence and persuade peers
- Ability to think strategically and act tactically.
- Effective collaboration skills, focusing on strong working relationships with all functional units of the organization.
- Strong coaching and leadership experience
- Works under pressure and can manage competing priorities.
- Ability to work as independently or as part of a cross-cultural team including flexibility to support multiple locations when necessary.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Corporate working environment.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.