The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Network and Telecommunications Engineer is responsible for analyzing, designing, installing, configuring, maintaining and repairing of network infrastructure and application components. They perform a wide variety of evaluation, maintenance, installation and training tasks to ensure the computer network performance meet company and user satisfaction. The Network and Telecommunications Engineer also provides direction, information, and recommendations regarding network and telecommunication configurations and installations. Will require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
35% System Management
- Manage assigned projects and program components to deliver services in accordance with established objectives.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the basics behind the Internet and its workings (DNS, Security, IP Routing, HTTP, VPN, Email Routing, etc.).
- Support the configuration and setup Cisco Firewalls, VPN Concentrators and Security appliances for access to vital business applications.
- Support the design, setup, and configuration of complex switching environments and complex wireless networks that support open or secured access and the ability to support voice and video applications.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of Local Area Networking.
- Assist in the design of multi-server environments including IP address schemes, DNS, WINS, etc.
35% Telecommunications Support
- Supervise the administration of systems and servers related network and telecommunications systems to ensure availability of services to authorized users.
- Respond to inquiries from staff, administrators, service providers, site personnel, and outside vendors, etc. to provide technical assistance and support.
- Troubleshoot malfunctions of network hardware and software applications, telephones, and security systems to resolve operational issues and restore services.
- Configure and install client and server network software for upgrading and maintaining network and telecommunication systems as required.
20% Telecommunications Maintenance
- Support the maintenance of the telecommunications infrastructure for the enterprise.
- This includes the administration of the telecommunications infrastructure and its associated software, including PBXs, call accounting systems, Automatic Call Distribution Systems (ACD), voice mail, interactive voice response, and video conferencing systems.
10% Handheld and Mobile Device Support
- Support the distribution of handheld and mobile devices including the set up and configuration of the devices.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) from a four-year college or university in Telecommunications, Network Engineering, Information Technology Management, or Technical Field and 3-5 years related experience and /or training; or 6-10 years of equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
- Current CCNA and/or CCDA certification.
- Experience connecting and supporting the move of servers and services to the cloud services.
- Additional certifications preferred by management.
- Maintain network security through proper configuration of VPN and Firewalls.
- Ability to communicate in an understandable, polite, and friendly manner, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a business environment.
- Availability in response to needs of the customer for installation, maintenance, and equipment malfunctions.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Corporate working environment.
- Noise level in the work environment is moderate.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.