Plant Materials Manager Summary:
The Plant Materials Manager manages all material functions for the flow of materials, from supplier through production to customer, ensuring maximum customer service, minimum inventory investment, minimum transportation costs and efficient plant operations. They will direct and coordinate the application, implementation, and activities of the Company’s ERP system to maximize its utilization across functional areas.
Plant Materials Manager Job Responsibilities:
Education and Experience:
- Responsible for material planning, scheduling, inventory control, logistics, purchasing, and shipping/receiving.
- Establish and maintain supplier release procedure and supplier banking requirements to ensure an uninterrupted supply of raw materials to meet production requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement through involvement with Lean Manufacturing projects.
- Establish and monitor finished goods inventory levels to ensure on-time compliance to customer release requirements while minimizing carrying and premium freight costs.
- Review department/plant measurables (customer delivery, supplier delivery, premium freight and inventory) and establish corrective measures for performance adherence.
- Proactively work with customers to resolve issues (racks, shipments, past due, etc.) related to materials.
- Ensure customer requirements are met on a continual basis.
- Provide leadership to subordinates for individual and group development.
- Develops internal planning (transportation, run sizes, inventory balances, etc.) for new and existing product.
- Review cost improvement ideas and manage implementation, such as transportation costs, warehouse costs, etc.
- Responsible for the following budgets: headcount, transportation, overtime, direct and indirect inventory.
- Establish goals and objectives with plant staff.
- Standardize and follow best practices with all Materials/Logistics.
- Communicate cost savings initiatives and assign support for defined projects.
- Manage supplier relationships to ensure delivery and quality requirements are met.
- Establish inventory management, shipping, receiving, production control, and material management procedures.
- Establish, monitor and control department budget that will effectively contribute to the overall manufacturing objectives and plant /company goals.
- Responsible for balancing objectives, including freight costs, on time delivery, inventory days on hand, production schedule management, etc.
- Optimize plant inventory levels including raw, WIP and finished goods and position to exceed inventory.
- Directly support lean manufacturing principles and processes as well as operate as a key partner during new program launches.
- Champion materials related activities designed to meet plant and corporate goals and objectives.
- Follows safety regulations and enforces compliance with company safety rules and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS or BA) is required.
- Must have recent experience in Automotive Industry.
- Previous scheduling, shipping/receiving, purchasing and inventory experience.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Strong proficiency with computer skills especially ERP systems.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Familiar with all TS-16949 policies and procedures relating to the Materials group (AIAG-MMOG, etc.).
- Must be able to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.