The Judge Group is seeking a Lead Packaging Engineer for a Fortune 500 manufacturing company in the consumer goods space. This is a full time permanent position with clear path for career growth and development, offering a competitive base with top notch benefits, retirement, and other short and long term incentives.
Candidates must be either US citizen or green card holder, no sponsorship is being offered
Relocation assistance is available
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This position provides ownership of packaging development projects from concept to launch in support of brand and category strategies to meet customer and consumer needs, as well as deliver financial results with winning value propositions and products. Manages, develops, designs and specifies packaging structures and materials that assist the consumer business sectors in meeting their objectives. This includes the attractive merchandising and safe shipping of products under varying conditions of climate, environment and different modes of transportation.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Research & Engineering Senior Packaging Manager
- Leads, manages, presents and executes all aspects of technical packaging changes / waivers / components / projects including new product / package introductions / launches / initial commercialization, as well as product / process changes and rollovers.
- Focuses on more complex projects with higher risks and business implications.
- Serves as an interface between strategic and tactical projects / timelines, including influencing graphic design and cross-functional project teams.
- Determines packaging specifications according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements, and the type of protection required.
- Designs package exteriors considering such factors as product identification, sales appeal, aesthetic quality, printing, sealing, fastening devices and production techniques.
- Develops the required type of packaging materials to maximize convenience, utility and function based on the product's physical characteristics, safety and special handling requirements.
- Evaluate and apply innovative solutions/ new technologies and materials in the design of packaging to deliver a consumer benefit, enhance profit margin, and reduce the environmental impact of our packaging.
- Adheres to packaging and transportation industry, customer / vendor and company standards, procedures and requirements to ensure compliance with safety and quality standards.
- Understands and follows corporate policies and procedures and industry standards for packaging specifications.
- Proactively identifies, leads and executes environmental sustainability initiatives to support global and environmental goals and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of internal & external vendor / co-packing operations, technology and production capabilities, as well as supply chain processes, to integrate operations and supply chain solutions and objectives into package development – to identify and capitalize on cost reduction/transformation and production efficiency opportunities.
- Assesses and develops action plans to overcome packaging related manufacturing issues.
- Understands the consumer, customer and competitive environment to ensure consistency and alignment with brand equity to drive category growth. Identifies and recommends new technology and/or materials used in the packaging industry to create leading edge package designs, innovations and prototypes.
- Leads a variety of packaging, product and production audits and shares insights and recommendations with front-end Design, Innovation and Marketing teams.
- Recognized as a packaging subject matter expert on cross functional and multi-level teams for a wide range of package development projects including both large, complex projects as well as full scope ownership for smaller projects.
- Designs and coordinates laboratory activities and tests using scientific systems/tools to assess technical feasibility in the qualification of materials, co-packers and vendors.
- Provides technical support to ensure quality standards, package performance, and continued supply of products and packaging materials. Identifies and tests/qualifies alternate sources for raw materials and packaging components.
- Writes component/equipment test protocols/reports, trip/mill/vendor summaries, regulatory and technical reporting/documentation and trial plans/results.
- Initiates and performs technical feasibility studies on new packaging platforms/features delivered through ideation.
- Responsible for the development and progression of more junior Packaging Engineers through on-boarding and formal and informal training and mentoring.
- Bachelor's degree in Packaging Engineering or related degree Preferred
- 3+ years of Packaging Engineering experience
- Demonstrated accomplishments in Packaging Engineering preferably within the Consumer Products industry
- Advanced knowledge of packaging development and operations/supply chain processes
- In-depth knowledge and experience in LEAN practices/manufacturing
- SAP experience is required including SAP/PLM & AutoCad
- Advanced knowledge of end to end packaging development process, including printing processes and packaging industry
- Strong planning/organizing skills with an ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects with conflicting deadlines and objectives
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships and lead multi-functional, multi-level project teams
- Ability to influence decisions across multiple functions/levels
- Ability to conceptualize ideas and transform specific brand/customer/consumer goals into packaging structures and specifications, including knowledge & experience with testing procedures
- Advanced problem solver to develop solutions and actionable plans for multiple functions and vendors/agencies
- Ability to communicate professionally in both oral and written form to inspire others to action; excellent presentation skills
- Advanced analytical skills to collect and interpret data and information to improve material/package/product/process performance
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in an environment with a high degree of change and uncertainty
- Self-directed, change agent, energizer and mobilizer - can quickly assess a situation, needed resources and drive execution
- Explore and scout new, innovative and creative packaging solutions – keeping current within industry, equipment/manufacturing capability and technology, including sustainability initiatives