- R&A's Vehicle Research and Technology Laboratory is seeking an employee to work in the Advanced Polymer Materials and Processing group.
- The goal of this group is to provide basic understanding of next generation automotive polymer materials for vehicle interior, exterior, chassis, powertrain, and body systems.
- Output includes the demonstration of material capability in prototype systems.
- Projects within this group have been an enabling factor for strategic company initiatives for the future vehicle experience.
- As a natural byproduct of longer range research, the group is active in the development of specialized materials that provide new functionality to traditional materials.
- This exciting advanced polymer materials research role enables, and requires, a cross functional relationship with several organizations within OEM, which include Product Development, Basic Design, and Manufacturing.
- The person in this position will undertake materials research to determine the opportunities of utilizing sustainable/renewable materials and advanced materials in automotive applications. Particular areas of interest are the development of multifunctional materials and efficient processing techniques to provide value to internal and external customers in terms of performance, durability, and cost.
- The individual may need to develop new or modified laboratory test methods that mimic the targeted performance of the material.
- Additionally, the individual will be responsible for managing material development, including data analysis, report preparation and presentation of project information to customers, suppliers and management.
- Continuous development of laboratory, data analysis, and basic modeling skills are expected.
- The candidate will have the opportunity to work closely with OEM’s material suppliers as well as Manufacturing, Product Development, and Design within OEM to improve the quality and performance of polymer material systems on OEM vehicles.
- Use of polymer characterization techniques including TGA, DSC, DMA, FTIR, and XRD, as well as conducting mechanical and dynamic mechanical testing.
- Use of data analysis methods such as multivariable regression and the ability to build predictive models.
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic working environment with a diverse team.
Use of polymer processing techniques such as injection, compression and blow modeling, extrusion, and additive manufacturing. Experience Required:
Prior laboratory experience with plastic, elastomer, and/or composite material development and processing, including hands-on modification of material recipes and processing methods. Education Required:
MS or equivalent with 3-5 years of experience in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science.