We currently have an opening for a Senior Legal Counsel HSEPR and Commercial to work in our newly relocated Corporate Office for North America based in Nashville, TN.
About the role
The main objective of the Senior Legal Counsel is to advise the company on all Health, Safety, Environmental and Product Regulatory issues. They must have command of HSEPR laws and regulations and use their knowledge to help our businesses achieve their goals while minimizing legal risk.
The Senior Legal Counsel brings to the company a unique area of expertise such that our businesses and other members of the legal team will rely heavily on their advice.
The Senior Legal Counsel must provide accurate and practical legal advice to Senior Executives and business leaders on HSEPR issues and develop strategies for mitigating risk.
- Provide legal advice to all AkzoNobel businesses operating in North America on Health, Safety, Environment and Product Regulatory issues as they relate to manufacturing and sale of our products including, operating permits, emissions reporting, OSHA compliance, and product labelling and registration.
- Provide legal advice to and work with environmental specialists responsible for non-operating and third-party sites
- Provide legal advice on Health, Safety, Environment and Product Regulatory issues that arise in the context of buying and selling businesses including identifying potential liabilities and drafting relevant provisions of sale and purchase agreements to minimize risk
- Monitor HSEPR laws and regulations and educate legal and business colleagues on noteworthy developments
- Advise on Real Estate leases, acquisitions and sales.
- Manage Outside Counsel
- The Senior Counsel will also provide legal advice on commercial and contract matters to one of the company’s business units in North America.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school with admission to at least one state bar and eligible for admission as an in-house lawyer in Tennessee.
- 8-10 years of relevant working experience at a major law firm or a multi-national corporation.
- First rate knowledge of HSEPR laws and regulations in the US including OSHA, TSCA, RCRA, CERCLA, the Clean Air Act and the Clean Air Act. Some familiarity with comparable laws and regulations in Canada and Mexico would be helpful.
- Knowledge of contract law and experience with drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Top-level analytical, counseling, negotiating, communication and interpersonal skills with sound legal and ethical judgment.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team of business personnel, internal and external legal and technical consultants and to coordinate negotiations with government agencies and private parties.
- The ability to work as a team member across the region and the world
- As a leading paints and coatings company AkzoNobel is proud to offer a competitive compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, dental and vision coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and much more.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both pre-employment background checks and drug screening. All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.