This position is responsible for providing leadership and guidance to the power boilers, chemical recovery boilers, power distribution station, turbine generators, multiple effect evaporators, lime kiln and causticizing plant, filtered water plants, and auxiliary equipment as assigned. The qualified candidate will ensure that the Power & Recovery department provides safe, efficient, precise, and quality workmanship to the Verso Wisconsin Rapids Mill.
- Promote a safe work environment
- Know, support, live, and protect the Verso Foundation Document by walking the talk through daily behaviors
- Provide supervision and leadership for the safe and efficient operation of all chemical recovery
- Assist in ensuring the dependable supply of steam, electricity, compressed air, and filtered water for the mill’s need while minimizing environmental impact
- Help ensure proper chemical treatment of boiler feed water and auxiliary chemical treatment of steam
- Provide direction and guidance to Energy Area management team personnel as required to achieve area, business unit, and mill objectives.
- Work with Maintenance Leaders in the scheduling and coordination of major maintenance work and outages
- Responsible for the development and execution of the Power & Utilities Area budget. Make recommendations for repairs and equipment to be included in department's annual budget and long term capital plans.
- Assist the Pulp Business Unit Manager in strategic and developmental planning for input into the mill level planning efforts as appropriate
- Ensure that the department maintains compliance for all environmental requirements and regulations. Fortify sound environmental stewardship among all department team members through awareness and training.
- Continue to develop and expand personal understanding of process operations and technology, applicable state and federal environmental rules and regulations, and keep abreast of new developments and technological advancements.
- Work beyond normal work schedule as necessary to fulfill position requirements.
- Provide on-call and weekend duty coverage.
- Actively participate in and support the MWS process at the WR Mill. Ensure the support/participation by all direct reports, and engage team members to fully utilize their knowledge, skills, and potential.
- Make routine inspections of operating areas, checking progress of projects being worked on, reviewing operating logs, checking for abnormal equipment operations, optimizing work efficiency, ensuring good housekeeping, making safety observations, etc.
- Participate in equipment inspections during downtimes to anticipate and assess maintenance requirements and expenditures; assist in annual safety inspections of pressure vessels as needed.
- Maintain harmonious relations with team members by administering contract provisions and company policies to avoid breach of contract, to ensure conformance to work rules and regulations administering disciplinary measures when needed.
- Ensure the safety and health of all personnel in area of responsibility as related to work activities. Efforts to achieve this end shall be directed to training of team members to perform their jobs safely without committing unsafe acts and maintaining a high standard of housekeeping.
- A bachelor’s degree in Pulp and paper science, chemical engineering, chemistry, power engineering or related area.
- Minimum of 5 to10 years supervisory/engineering experience in kraft chemical pulping operations (wood processing, power/utilities, chemical recovery, or fiber lines). Significant consideration will be given to applicable experience in chemical recovery and power operations OR any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Social, leadership, and communication skills to engage key customers and stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work with team members throughout an organization, excellent analytical, communication, team leadership skills, planning and priority setting and quality and timely decision making
- Budgeting experience preferred