About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
Information on our facilities is available at www.covanta.com/Covanta-Map . For career opportunities, visit www.covanta.com/Careers . Covanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
This position will provide engineering design and oversight guidance in the design, specification, procurement and installation of materials handling equipment used in the operations of a modern Energy from Waste (EfW) Facility.
Under the direction of Senior Director of Mechanical Design Engineering, you will provide Operational and Maintenance support including recommendations for improvements on existing systems throughout the Covanta fleet.
The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with colleagues and plant operating staff to design, install, and modify material handling components for the transport of various materials, reagents, and byproducts for an EfW facility including MSW, Lime, Carbon, Bottom Ash, Flyash, and recovered metals. He/she will perform inspections and make recommendations in for increasing reliability and performance of this equipment
- Prepare preliminary system design & layout to support project expectations
- Recommend technologies based on application
- Define scope and provide oversight to contract engineering firms
- Develos specifications for equipment and system supply and modification.
- Develop works scopes for installation
- Analyze operating plant problems or equipment failures and provide corrective changes.
- Evaluate and select new technologies to enhance and upgrade systems.
- Coordinate resources from multiple disciplines (internal and external as needed)
- Provide review of system in compliance with all safety and environmental needs
- Ensure designs meet Company, facility and regulatory requirements and standards.
Develop and Specify materials handling equipment and system design/scope documents including:
- Determine feasibility of designing new or modifying existing facilities considering costs, available space, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Independently evaluate, select, and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications.
- Plan design tasks so both the design and construction will be achieved within budget constraints.
- Prepare system layout and detailed drawings and schematics. Analyze test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Collaborate with other engineering competency areas to ensure project success
- Coordination with equipment suppliers, engineering subcontractors, & installation contractors
- Manage all mechanical engineering aspects of assigned projects.
- Support new equipment commissioning including providing on-site consulting/overview of equipment installation and startup & testing
- Compare final design for compliance with contract documents.
Support Operating and Maintenance of Existing Systems
- Apply experience and knowledge of materials handling practices to solve plant problems
- Assess existing materials handling equipment condition and failure causes based upon knowledge, experience and available O&M records to develop cost effective improvements.
- Support facility and maintenance managers' efforts to reduce unscheduled downtime, operate efficiently, and maintain safe and reliable operations.
- Minimum Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical (or related) Engineering from an accredited institution.
- 7 years or more of experience in material handling equipment in compatible industries (Power, Chemical, Pulp & Paper)
- General understanding of requirements and applications for utility and industrial power plants
- Motivated self-starter with ability to work on multiple concurrent projects with minimal supervision.
- Willingness to travel (25-50%) to facilities in systems
- Experience with capital material handling projects including:
- preliminary conceptual system design & layout,
- detailed design, equipment selection & layout,
- construction specifications,
- equipment testing and start-up problem resolution.
- Familiarity with power plant functions would be valuable
- Effective written and oral communication skills
Material Handling Applications within Industrial Facilities in industries such as Power, Chemical, Pulp & Paper, and Energy from Waste including:
- Belt conveyors
- Vibrating Pan and SlipStick Conveyors
- Screw Conveyors
- Air Sealing solutions including flapgates and rotary valves
- Pneumatic conveying application of bulk reagents and solids
- Ash Conditioning and Pugmill style mixing systems