DAK Americas is a globally competitive supplier of Terephthalic acid (TPA/PTA) - Monomers, Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins (PET) and Polyester Staple Fibers (PSF) for the western hemisphere. The company is headquartered in Charlotte, NC with manufacturing facilities in the Carolinas.
DAK Americas is a division of Alpek, the petrochemicals and synthetic fibers business group of Alfa, S.A.B. de C.V., one of Mexico's largest corporations.
The ideal candidate for the Environmental Engineer position will be results driven, motivated by challenges and have excellent communication, organization, administration and interpersonal skills. The primary function of this role is in the Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) Department performing air/water/wastewater/waste related assignments under the direction of the Senior Environmental Engineer and SHE Manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as business needs require.
- Assemble environmental data from the site for purposes of compliance
- Review environmental records for reporting purposes
- Provide assistance in the management of the environmental records and document control
- Conduct routine site environmental inspections/audits
- Assist in permit application renewals/modifications
- Management of site environmental citations and spill notifications
- Provide support during environmental regulatory inspections and corporate audits
- Provide assistance in developing environmental training items (EKPs)
- Develop a proficient understanding of the various SHE spreadsheets, calendars and filing systems
- Function as the backup environmental waste coordinator
- Assist in new environmental projects as needed
- Learn the LDAR regulations, work with the LDAR software, and interface with site personnel and contractors
- Assist with various environmental programs (SWP3, SPCC, and BMP) and their development
- Conduct the environmental SDS review for new chemical requests
- Perform miscellaneous water/wastewater/air related assignments as directed by the senior environmental engineer or SHE Manager
- Work independently with minimal supervision on unusual and complex problems.
DAK Americas LLC is subject to US Department of Commerce export regulations and thus must hire individuals who meet national security requirements. Interested applicants (or temporary employees) must meet eligibility requirements. DAK Americas LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minimum Skills & qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical or Environmental Engineering is preferred
- 0 - 5 years’ experience in environmental engineering
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- The ability to read, understand and interpret regulations
- Ability to successfully work as a member of a team and take direction
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail is a critical need
- Should be able to write legibly
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft and other programs (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook,)
- Good safety practices
- Good communication, listening, organization and interpersonal skills
- Occasional overtime, weekend work and travel required
- Ability to rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities
- RCRA and DOT certifications from an external provider
- Experience other programs include: Access, SAP, LDAR