The AVANGRID Transmission Planning group consists of a highly motivated, collaborative, technical team of engineers responsible for planning an efficient and reliable electrical transmission grid across a wide geographic area including Connecticut, Maine and New York. Our planning team uses the latest industry software and methods to analyze and assess complex transmission systems across AVANGRID’s transmission and sub-transmission networks. We consistently encourage our team to seek out and develop creative technological and process improvements, continually striving to increase the precision and efficiency of our studies.
Your role in the Transmission Planning team would include collaborating, performing, and leading reliability and/or market driven studies across our operating companies and beyond including voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments. Our planners not only interact with internal teams but also become active with their industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NPCC, ISO’s, etc.). Each planner has the freedom to work independently while being given opportunities to lead, all while receiving constant support from and collaborating with other team members across AVANGRID.
A familiarity with various planning standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, etc.) and planning software packages such as PSS/E and TARA is certainly a plus; however, most importantly we are looking for a collaborative, technical and innovative power systems engineer with good communications skills that wants to be part of a highly effective team. Our planning team also places a high value on other related experiences in the electrical power industry such as substation design, construction and protection and control systems.
- Collaborate, perform, and lead reliability and/or economic driven studies including voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments.
- Analyze and assess complex transmission systems at numerous voltage levels.
- Document and communicate results and recommendations as appropriate including data manipulation, report writing, and summary presentations.
- Continually strive to innovate and integrate improvements to increase the precision and efficiency of transmission planning.
- Strive to seek out and develop subject matter expert skills as necessary to mentor and support the team to aid in the advancement of business needs.
- Collaborate and interact with internal teams and industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NPCC, ISO’s, etc.).
- Develop and apply a thorough understanding of various planning criteria, guidelines, standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, etc.) and analysis software packages such as PSS/E, TARA, and ASPEN.
- Participate in transmission and substation site inspections, attend industry workshops, training, and user group meetings as needs arise.
Education & Experience Required:
- BSEE required with additional consideration given to applicants with Advanced Degrees or Certifications (e.g. MSEE, PE, etc.)
- 3 - 7 yrs industry related work experience
The following skills are desired of those candidates seeking a position in Transmission Planning. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in Transmission Planning activities (e.g. T&S Engineering, P&C, etc.).
- T&D Power Systems Engineering: Practical & Theoretical knowledge of Planning, Operations, and Engineering Design (e.g. symm. components, per unit, etc.).
- Power System Studies - Knowledge & Interpretation of Study Assumptions and Results: (e.g. Power Flow, Stability, Short Circuit, etc.)
- Software Proficiency - Power System Analytics: (e.g. PSSE, TARA, ASPEN, Enfuzion)
- Knowledge of Regional/Local Criteria & Compliance: (NERC, NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.)
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]