The Materials Application Engineer is responsible for providing technical advice and support to the sales team and customers in order to develop, sell and successfully implement Trelleborg product, capabilities or service solutions that will meet the customer’s needs.
The Materials Application Engineer will analyze the customers technical needs, identify the material needs in order to develop proposals, with the support of Trelleborg factory and R&D support groups, outlining how the organization’s products and services can meet these needs and be integrated and implemented with the customers new and existing systems and equipment.
Pre-sales activities include gathering of data, analyzing customers applications, understanding the customers technical needs and recommending materials and solutions. Proposals can include preparation of the associated chemical compatibility and material recommendations, explanations of material selection, presentations of research and findings, and personal communication with both the customer and sales team.
Post-sales activities include ongoing maintenance of customer documentation and resolving problems and issues utilizing Trelleborg systems, procedures and resources.
The Materials Application Engineer is responsible for building relationships across all levels of engineering departments within existing customers and prospective target accounts to generate new business opportunities.
The primary function of the Materials Application Engineer position is to provide technical advice and proposals to the sales team and customer team in order to develop, sell and successfully implement the Trelleborg product, capabilities and service solutions. Additionally, the Materials Application Engineer is responsible for helping in the ongoing management of customer relationships and helping to coordinate and maintain all related customer documentation and supporting data.
- Customer Program Implementation, which will include;
- Presales support to the customer to understand the technical requirements based on the customers applications
- SDS Analysis and Material Review based on the specific products manufactured by the customer
- Presentation and recommendations to the customer that best fir the applications requirements
- Final material selection and communication with the internal team to ensure proper purchasing and procurement activities
- Development of customer Fluid Sealing Management Program (FSMP) documentation that is customized for each customer.
- Ongoing Customer Program Support, which will include;
- Review and analysis of new or modified customer products that are to be added to the program for material compatibility
- Identify potential consolidation opportunities to leverage possible cost savings for customers
- Support to customer inquiries for confirmation on material compatibility with previously unidentified customer products
- Ongoing Chemical Compatibility Database management, which will include;
- Regular reviews and updates to tracking documentation, which provides aggregated data from multiple sources on material recommendations
- Identify improvement opportunities with current tracking system to help streamline the SDS review and material recommendation process
- Segment Document Management, which will include;
- Document version control and updates to a variety of documents and forms that help support the business, these can include; FSMP, Valve Kit Catalog, Material Reference and Root Cause Failure Analysis forms
- Develop, Manage and Customization of Sales and Training Presentation documents that are utilized by the sales and segment leadership team
- Other responsibilities will include;
- Respond to customers questions and troubleshoot, investigate, and resolve technical problems that arise during or after implementation of Trelleborg solutions.
- Assist in achieving Sales Growth: Achieve Sales Target. Strive for 10%+ year over year growth.
- Assist in achieving Profitability Goals: Achieve Profit Target. Strive for 10%+ year over year growth.
- Process and manage projects in a timely manner with a focus on project cycle velocity and project conversion.
- Conduct joint sales visits with Sales Engineers.
- Complete month end report and submit the first week of each Month.
- Learn and utilize internal processes: CRM, JDE, Quality, ISO.
- Ensure full compliance with all Standard Operating Procedures including Quality Manual and Quality Procedures.
- Represent the segment in cross-functional teams and projects.
- Assist the segment with quality related issues.
- Provide proactive communication, analysis and problem solving
- Provide innovative solutions and continuous improvements
Education and Experience
- Bachelors degree required. Engineering degree strongly preferred, Chemical Engineering a plus.
- Minimum 1 year experience in manufacturing customer support required
- Proven proficiency and experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proven proficiency and experience in the use of business operational software (CRM, Oracle JDE, SAP)
- Knowledge of rubber/plastic materials, products, seals and bearings is beneficial
- Familiarity with ISO quality requirements is beneficial
- Knowledge of chemical industry and chemical transportation a plus
Last application date
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and manage projects with attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong customer focus and understanding of total customer satisfaction
- Strong understanding of the commercial side of the business and how it affects business decisions and solutions
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent people and relationship building skills
- Customer driven with a positive, professional, can-do attitude
- Strong analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
Who to contact
External Candidates: https://careers-trelleborg.icims.com
Internal Employees: https://internal-trelleborg.icims.com
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disability status.
Name: Tabby Jarrett