Position Open: November 19, 2018
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Senior Industrial Mechanical Engineer in our Macon, GA office who will perform industrial and mechanical engineering services on industrial process projects of small to large scope for facilities that process minerals, pulp and paper, and petrochemicals, among others.
General responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing various design services as an engineer, including Conceptual Studies, Process flow diagrams, P&IDs, mass balance, calculations, equipment selection, instrument selection and general arrangements for bulk material handling, process piping, conveyance equipment detail shop drawings, dust collection, chute fabrication drawings, tank/bin design, and equipment platforms/catwalks with minimal direction from supervising staff.
- Providing oversight and coordination of projects, and working with assigned design managers and project managers, to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating and communicating all aspects of industrial and mechanical design within multi-disciplinary teams as requested by the Design Manager or Project Engineer.
- Developing project schematic designs, design development designs, and construction documents
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Providing support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda, amendments, open bids, tabulate bids, etc. as directed
- Performing construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, preparing as-builts, etc. as directed
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from senior engineers and project managers
- Working independently with limited direction
- Supervising and mentoring junior staff in the Industrial Engineering Department
- Performing other responsibilities as assigned by the Project Engineer, Design Manager, Project Managers, principals, and senior management.
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Drafting of plans, partial plans, sections, details
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Engineer
- Create schematic-level plans and details for approval by the Mechanical Engineer
- Developing an accurate, three-dimensional model of the mechanical systems with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
- Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Assist with building systems calculations and LEED templates
- Participate in building system selections
- Participate in building code analysis process
- Monitor individual performance relative to project budget and schedule
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Travel, up to 30%
Must have graduated from an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program ideally in one of the following disciplines:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Industrial Engineering
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Completed or be in a position to complete the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and all other state requirements for certification as an EIT is preferred.
- Completed or be in a position to complete requirements for PE licensure within 60 months after being hired is preferred
- 24 hour MSHA miner safety training is desirable
- Applicable Autodesk certifications is desirable
- Active membership in drafting or modeling-related organizations (local or web-based) is desirable
- Certificate of Management for Building Information Modeling (CM-BIM) is desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process is desirable
- A minimum of 5 years of onsite experience with Industrial safety programs and compliance with site specific safety programs in an Industrial plant environment is required
A Senior Industrial Mechanical Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
Specific software includes:
- Microsoft Office
- A Senior Industrial Mechanical Engineer should typically have 10 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with an Industrial firm or multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge in one or more of the following areas:
- bulk material handling
- process piping
- conveyance equipment
- detail shop drawings
- dust collection
- chute fabrication drawings
- tank/bin design
- equipment platforms/catwalks
- Familiarity with MSHA standards and other related industrial process design parameters is highly desired.
- Design or construction experience in Design/Build and EPC project delivery methods is desirable
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole