Design Mechanical Engineer
Mechanical Design Engineer is a hands on position that is responsible for executing New Product Development and R&D activities on-time and within budget. Ensures all engineering projects, initiatives, and processes are in conformance with CED’s established policies and objectives. Functions effectively in a team environment and works closely with contracts, business development and operations. Supports ongoing efforts with mechanical Engineers on design and development of small aerospace and defense components.
This position requires significant customer interaction and is also responsible for guiding and mentoring from initiation and requirements evaluations through production release of CAD/PAD and other pyro-technic devices for the defense industry. Needs experience with aerospace, defense, energetics etc
Design and Development Engineer
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION:
1. Direct New Product Design and Development (NPD) efforts within established CED processes ensuring cost and schedule targets are achieved.
2. Lead product improvement/redesign teams to overcome product performance issues and drive toward novel and improved designs.
3. Support legacy production jobs maintaining up-to-date Technical Data Packages (TDP) guaranteeing products are readily producible.
4. Lead CED’s Configuration Management Team by maintaining adequate personnel staffing and implementing sound efficient processes which support the entire organization.
5. Lead efforts to determine feasibility, risk and effort associated with product development
6. Provides technical assistance to other functions within the organization as requested.
7. Provide expert judgment and analysis for the design, development and implementation of technical products and systems.
8. Interface with Business Development and Manufacturing to ensure that support is forthcoming for ongoing proposal activities.
9. Manage engineers to develop team for envisioned future efforts/growth.
10. Support internal weekly status meetings with manufacturing.
11. Define engineering development strategies in support of project and product goals and requirements.
12. Definition, execution, and monitoring / control of program plans, including schedule and budget.
13. Actively manage program and schedule risk associated with relevant projects.
14. Lead the mechanical engineering duties regarding technical evaluations and programmatic and design tradeoff decisions.
15. Work closely with Business Development to gather, understand, and validate customer and product requirements.
16. Support and/or coordinate design reviews for your functional group and any project for which the Mechanical Engineering group plays a key role.
17. Direct Mechanical Engineering staff in the definition and development of verification and validation test plans.
18. Define and track key product metrics with the intent of identifying product and process improvements.
19. Assign development and technical responsibilities to staff
- Experience in pyro device development a plus.
- Proven organizational, leadership, and problem solving skills
- Must have proven multitasking skills and can work under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good Interpersonal Skills with ability to lead and collaborate across teams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools (Word, PowerPoint, Project)
- Familiarity with Data Management processes & tools
- Familiarity with Quality Standards such as AS-9100
1. Must be eligible to possess explosive under the Safe Explosives Act of 2003 (as amended) as required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) for all employees of Chemring Energetic Devices and Technical Ordnance.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Mechanical, Physics, or Chemistry and 5 to 10 years of related Aerospace/Military/Ordnance industry experience. MBA Preferred
- Extensive experience and judgment to long-term planning.
5. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
6. Excellent Customer Management Skills Required.
7. Excellent communication skills and a willingness to overcome obstacles.
8. Ability to multi-task in support of end-result/goal.
10. Advanced degree in a related discipline a plus.
11. Demonstrated financial, risk and resource management skills.
12. Experience with prime defense contractor specifications and/or military regulations.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The description of the Mechanical Design Engineer physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job:
1. Ability to talk or hear.
2. Required to sit 90% of the workday.
3. Occasionally required to stand; walk;
4. Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms;
5. Minimal lifting is required, 10 pounds, with assistance and/or move up to 50 pounds.
6. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus when viewing a computer monitor.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and explosives.
· The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. However, on some instances this job may require work in areas where ear protection is necessary.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.