CF Industries has many exciting and challenging opportunities at its world class Corporate Headquarters in Deerfield, IL – just outside Chicago. This position functions as part of the Project Engineering team to support the Distribution Facilities Operations staff throughout the United States and Canada.
The Project Engineer is responsible to plan, design, and carry out the departmental engineering function for Distribution Facilities. Project work includes: conducting technical audits and investigations into mechanical processes of each terminal facility within CF Industries’ distribution system. The incumbent oversees and ensures proper maintenance, operation, and installation of all mechanical equipment. Designs and establishes the specifications for any mechanical installations. Oversees and ensures proper procedure of all project work from inception through completion. Receives general supervision around broader project objectives and technical guidance only on unconventional and/or non-standard projects.
Key Job Elements:
• Provides engineering assistance to ensure compliance with all laws/regulations and standard operating procedures. This includes but is not limited to: Refrigerated pipe system designs, structural support design, design load stability, concrete design and construction, pressure vessels, refrigerated equipment designs, relief valve systems and components, and the storage and handling of anhydrous ammonia.
• Serves as resource regarding facility operation in the areas of; process evaluation/improvement, project definition, development and implementation; and, specifications for repair parts and replacement items.
o Experience with vertical multi-stage ammonia transfer pumps and control systems.
o Understands key factors in the proper design of anhydrous ammonia two-stage refrigeration systems.
• Coordinates field work of and controls/monitors on-site contractors. Works with the purchasing group for quote solicitation via a Sealed Bid process as appropriate.
• Prepares or assists in preparation of project budgets for Approval for Expenditures (AFEs) or Maintenance & Repair (M&Rs). Controls/monitors project costs within corporate guidelines. Has shown experience with the Project Notepad system for cost monitoring.
• Maintains ongoing familiarization with all procedures, equipment and processes.
o Familiarity with the design and operation of reciprocating compressors and screw ammonia compressors.
o Has knowledge of the operation of inert gas purgers utilized in anhydrous ammonia refrigeration processes.
o Understands requirements for safe effluent handling of anhydrous ammonia utilizing flare systems.
• Assists and provides engineering support to Distribution Facility personnel.
• Must have experience with Autodesk Plant Design Suite Software, including 3D modeling of piping systems including pipe supports and structures.
• Other projects as assigned
Successful incumbents will h
Travel to facilities and related conferences/seminars is required as needed. Typical annual time spent traveling is approximately 40%. Trips are typically domestic and last 1-2 day/1 night.